From:
Brian Buff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 15:24:04 +0000
Crumb trays (or plates) originated in Europe as a specialty tool of those
serving meals to royalty and the aristocracy.  Simply stated:  after each
course in the meal, servants would approach the table, diners would recline
back in their chairs, and the servants would sweep all crumbs and dining
detriment into the tray using a brush--not unlike a shaving cream brush.
The handle of the brush was normally ornamented in the same material as the
tray.

You can still see crumb trays on some of the more detailed historic house
tours in Europe--especially in Britain and France.

In the U.S., crumb trays came into their own during the high Victorian
era--for they mark two major Victorian themes in material
culture--specialization objects and explicit expression of power
relationships within objects or group of objects.  Victorian dining had
structure and ritual.  To behave in a genteel manner = to behave and emulate
the lifestyle of the aristocracy.  No proper Victorian meal would be served
without having the crumbs swept away--thus the importance, function and role
of the crumb tray.

Many hotels--trying to show-off their style and service adopted the use of
crumb trays.  There was also an economic factor here--if waitstaff
diligently used the crumb trays--sometimes linens would not have to be
changed after each use.  Even in Victorian times, turnover and profit margin
drove the service industry. The crumb trays used in hotels were not
necessarily of as high quality or style as one would have in their own home.

For a wonderful overview of Victorian dining rituals and use of objects, I
recommend "Death in the Dining Room & Other Tales of Victorian Culture" by
Ken Ames.  Crumb trays are not specifically mentioned in the work--but Ames
gives some incredible insights to use of material culture.

Good luck in working with these new acquisitions!

Brian Buff