From:
Matt Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:54:52 -0400
Hi Marie,

The museum I work at, the Old Governor's Mansion, is affiliated with a
university.  Our docent staff is composed primarily of college students
(with the ensuing wardrobe) that was meet with various degrees of concern
by some of our visitors.  To solve the issue of a dress code once and for
all, we have begun purchasing uniforms for our "front-line" employees.  The
uniform consists of a polo shirt, with the museum logo, and khaki pants.
Professional foot ware is expected, with Flip flops being the only
prohibited item.   For the remainder of the staff, our dress code has been
formulated to fit the specific duties assigned to each staff member.

Cheers!

Matt

At 12:28 PM 8/23/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Marie,
>
>I am instituting a dress code for Gallery employees.  All of our
>assistants, monitors and interns are college students, and their attire
>(or lack thereof) has become increasingly revealing and casual over the
>past 2 years..
>Here is what I developed:
>
>*Dress Code*:
>The Handwerker Gallery is a professional Gallery, and as such, we need to
>demonstrate a certain level of professionalism, which includes appropriate
>attire.
>
>In general, student attire must be acceptable for a professional
>office.  Please refer to the list below:
>
>*_Acceptable_*
>*_Not Acceptable
>_* skirts of appropriate length                                mini skirts
>or halter tops
>  Bermuda shorts
>cut-offs/short shorts
>  slacks
>sweatpants/torn denim jeans
>  comfortable, clean footwear
>thin/dirty/torn/scruffy flip flops,
>
>    dirty/ripped shoes or
>
>                                                  sneakers, beach shoes,
> slippers
>
>In addition, undergarments are to be covered; tops are not to be
>see-through or show undergarments/straps; midriffs are to be covered.
>T-shirts with inappropriate writing or pictures are not acceptable.
>Plain T-shirts or those with the IC logo on them are recommended. Shorts,
>pants, and skirts shall have no writing across the rear/seat area.
>Clothing that is excessively tight or excessively baggy is also
>unacceptable.  Please contact me with any questions or for any clarification.
>
>I gave this to a few students for comment, they all felt it was reasonable
>so I adopted it as our new policy.
>Hope this helps.
>
>Best,
>Cheryl
>
>Dr. Cheryl Kramer,
>Director,
>Handwerker Gallery
>Ithaca College
>Ithaca, NY  14850
>
>607.274.3548 (phone)
>607.274.1774 (fax)
>
>*
>*
>

>Via, Marie wrote:
>
>>Our museum is debating the pros and cons of adopting a dress code for
>>museum staff.  This has come up primarily because a few interns,
>>volunteers and younger staffers are wearing shorts, rubber flip-flops,
>>spaghetti straps, revealing necklines, hats, etc., to work.  In the
>>past, supervisors have simply talked one-on-one with a person they felt
>>was inappropriately dressed for his or her particular position,
>>emphasizing that they were doing themselves a disservice if people don't
>>take them serious.  And obviously there was some degree of difference in
>>the expectations of a front-end vs. behind-the-scenes people.  A few
> [...]

__________________________________

Matthew S. Davis
Assistant Curator of Education
The Old Governor's Mansion
Georgia College & State University

Campus Box 092
Milledgeville, GA 31061
478-445-4545(phone)
478-445-3045 (fax)
www.gcsu.edu/mansion

"Georgia's Public Liberal Arts University"