From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 21:41:46 -0500
I would like to echo what others have said regarding experience. The PhD is a research oriented degree. It isn't just like an M.A. but more of it. Or at least it shouldn't.  It is meant to produce people who can do original research in a specialized field. Museum studies  as a field typically is meant to produce professionals for museums, very few of which need a PhD (curator in a specialized field is all I can think of, actually, and not even always then.) and, as others have pointed out, could be a real waste of time and money.

Take the 4-5 years a PhD program will take and get experience in a museum.

If you still want to do a PhD in museums or Public History, then you need to decide what area of museums and public history you want to do research in.  THEN you look for a professor or program that will help you meet your needs. One that has a history of producing the type of researcher/teacher you want to be using the methodology and in the field you want. If you are interested in education theory in museums you won't go to the same program that is stronger in Oral History or archival studies or historic editing.

Getting a degree of any type is a means. You need to decide what your ends are.

And this advice comes from a guy who stepped out of the museum world after 20 years to get his PhD in History. Not museum studies or public history, although I have done course work in those areas and have practiced them for decades, but straight up History. It is right for me and what I hope to accomplish.

(seriously, regardless of what you want to be "when you grow up" if you want to do ANYTHING in the museum field, even if it is to teach museum studies and/or do research, get some decent experience under your belt. Know what it is like work in a museum day in and day out for years. That will make you so much better at whatever job you get someday and much more marketable. Studying museums is not the same as working in them)

Matthew White
Graduate Student
Department of History
http://web.mac.com/mattadolphus