From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 1994 09:39:43 -0700
John,
Partly, that depends on which gesso was being used.  White lead ground in
linseed oil is one gesso, calcium sulfate (plaster of paris) is another.
Both can be very difficult to remove, and are chemically reactive.  Both
can be very durable.  It all depends....

Jack
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR