From:
amy cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:25:04 PDT
Chris,

i spent a year in edinburgh as a junior year abroad student.  i don't
know of places to stay, but if you're near the university, you'll be
within twenty minutes walking distance of most places.  avoid the big
hotels near princes street.  it's very upscale and you'll be in the
busiest tourist hub.  you should definitely have lunch at greyfriar's
pub -- you'll encounter many students, but it's great energy and
uncharacteristically good pub grub.  that neighborhood is quite fun,
sort of soho-ish.  there is also a pub near the castle on the royal mile
that has traditional scottish and irish music.  you should hike up
arthur's seat for a fantastic view of the city and beyond. it's arduous,
but worth it.  if you like foreign cinema (british films included),
there is a small theatre that has quality films each night.
unfortunately, i can't be certain i remember the name of it (maybe the
cameo), but it's a small city.  lastly, if you want to spare yourself of
a common mistake that most american visitors make, remember to pronounce
edinburgh "edin-burr-ah" as opposed to "edin-burg".

have a great time!
amy cramer