From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:13:47 -0600
I'm a bit disturbed by the initial question, and more so by the
follow-up that "ANY commercial venture should be accompanied by a legal
contract and a full understanding of the various rights involved."  Does
that mean an artist who draws inspiration for a sculpture from the lines
of an artefact in a museum collection would be unable to sell that
sculpture without a legal agreement with the museum?  What about an
illustrator hired (for pay) for a history book (that would be sold
commercially) that conducts research in a museum to ensure the
historical accuracy of his/her illustrations?  I personally have
conducted research on museum collections to make more
historically-accurate armour and jewelry pieces--these are not precise
replicas of the originals, but rather follow the same traditions of the
originals in terms of size, proportions, decoration, etc.  Should I not
be allowed to sell these products of mine to interested buyers because I
don't have agreements with the museums where I've done research?  Or for
that matter, because I don't have similar agreements with the publishers
and authors of books I've consulted for similar information?

Yes, you have a right to control how your images are used.  Yes, you
have a right to control access to your collections and documentation.
But trying to control the production of reproductions based on research
on originals strikes me as going a bit too far (now if someone wanted to
make moulds of your originals to cast precise replicas, I could see that
as being different--but that would be an issue of appropriate
collections access, not what's done with acceptable research conducted
on your collections).  Seems to me what's being discussed is limitations
on the very research that many of our collections exist to facilitate.

Cheers,

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

Jenna,

I would say do not leave that at the suspicion level. Find out exactly
what
their purpose is before anything is seen or photographed. ANY
commercial
venture should be accompanied by a legal contract and a full
understanding
of the various rights involved. Do not give them even a basic
opportunity
to sidestep your institution and its right to image control and
compensation. If they balk at such an arrangement, then deny them
access.

Once the understanding has been achieved, they can take any photos and
measurements they please.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Jenna
             Carroll-Plante
             <JCPlante@SHAKERS
             .ORG>                     [log in to unmask]
             Sent by: Museum
cc
             discussion list
Subject
             SE.LSOFT.COM>             Photograph Release Policy

             06/04/2004 07:40
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hello all,

How does your museum handle requests to review artifacts by someone
you
know is probably going to take that information and those images to
produce
and sell reproductions of that product.  We have a photograph
agreement
policy for outside researchers and a product development policy (for
our
demonstrators).  What are your impressions of allowing people to
review
your collection to make commercially-sold products?  Do you limit them
from
taking exact measurements and/or images?

Jenna

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
should
read "help" (without the quotes).

[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
"Signoff
Museum-L" (without the quotes).

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies