From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:07:11 -0700
Marcella,

In the late 1990s, "Wonder Boys" by Michael Chabon was
being filmed in Pittsburgh. The studio requested use
of historic tables from the main reading room of the
Andrew Carnegie Free Library and Music Hall in
Carnegie, Pennsylvania [a Pittsburgh suburb], for
certain college scenes in the movie.

We had hoped that they would actually film some of the
movie at the Andrew Carnegie Free Library [as was done
with he filming of Tim Robbins' "Bob Roberts"
political satire in November of 1991]. However, after
looking over the Library and Music Hall, they decided
they only wanted to use our reading tables!

As a Life Trustee on the Library's Board of Trustees
at that time, I was very hesitant to loan out our
historic tables. However, the Library was always short
on cash; we needed the money so we loaned-out the
tables.

After several months, the tables were returned to us
without any problems. Of course, we did have a
contract with the studio, and we required a
certificate of insurance.

It is difficult to say what you should do. Certainly
lending out a historic motorcycle is more problematic
than reading tables. I was not so worried about the
reading tables being damaged [after about a hundred
years of library use, what more could be done to
them!]. However, I was worried about the reading
tables being "lost" among all of the other props.

A strong contract, with insurance requirements, would
be the minimum, if you decide to go through with the
loan.  You should probably also require some sort of
daily accountability--say, a daily check on the
condition and end-of-the-day storage of the motorcycle
that HAS TO BE SIGNED-OFF BY ONE OF THE MAJOR STUDIO
EMPLOYEES. And, you should probably insist on a
periodic report on the consition of the motorcycle.

As with libraries, I am sure your museum could use the
money such a rental would provide. Make sure your
attorney "dots all the i's and crosses all the t's" of
any such lease contract.

Good luck!

gaw