From:
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:57:20 -0700
(I apologize for duplication of this announcement. I am cross-posting to a
number of lists. Feel free to pass it on.)

Announcing: A WEEK OF SPANISH COLONIAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGY IN SAN DIEGO,
CALIFORNIA  October 4-12, 1997

Attend presentations on the cultural, social, and economic impact of the
Missions.

Participate in the archaeological excavation of the San Diego Presidio.

Hear experts on the Spanish Colonial period in California present new findings.

All programs are open to the public, although donations will be gratefully
accepted.

300 YEARS OF CALIFORNIA MISSION HISTORY: THE MISSION AS A FRONTIER
INSTITUTION REVISITED
   A humanities re-examination of the role of the Missions by scholars who
have studied the record from the perspectives of the Anglo, Ibero, and
Native American populations.  Saturday-Sunday, October4-5, at the Temple in
San Diego Heritage Park.

THE SAN DIEGO PRESIDIO DIG-IN
   An opportunity for public archaeology, under supervision, at the ongoing
excavation of the San Diego Presidio. Excavation at this 18th century site
has yielded thousands of artifacts.  Saturday, October 4 through Sunday,
October 12 at the San Diego Presidio Park.

THE GRAN QUIVIRA CONFERENCE
   The 26th meeting of the Southwest Mission Research Center, an
organization of historians and archaeologists interested in the Spanish
Colonial period. Thursday, October 9 through Sunday, October 12 at sites on
the Founders Trail.

Call (619) 483-4589 for information about registration for any or all of the
events. Leave your mailing address for details. (Or, e-mail me at

Sponsored by the Center for Spanish Colonial Archaeology

Anita Cohen-Williams
Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, and SPANBORD
Internet Consultant