From:
"F.J. Sarre" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 17:24:40 +0100
Tom,
Here are some details of the slavery gallery in Liverpool I mentioned
earlier.

Its called "Transatlantic Slavery: against Human Dignity". I have the
gallery guide, which is much the same as text on the walls, which
introduces it like this:

"This gallery was originated and has been generously supported by the
Peter Moores Foundation [I don't know who they are]. It examines
transatlantic slavery and seeks to increase understanding of what has
happened to people of African descent in the modern world.

Introduction
For more than 2,000 years, people in many different parts of the
world have forced their fellow humans into slavery. Between about
1500 and 1900, Europeans forcibly oprooted millios of people from
throughout West Africa and West Central Africa and shipped them
accross the Atlantic in conditions of great cruelty. To refer to the
Africans who were enslaved only as 'slaves' strips them of their
identity. They were, for instance, farmers, merchants, priests,
soldiers, goldsmiths, musicians. They were husbands and wives,
fathers and mothers, sons and daughters. They could be Yoruba, Igbo,
Akan, Kongolese.

European slaver disperesed them across the Americas to lead lives of
degradation and brutality, without thought for their personal lives.
Millions died in the process. As a result, people of African descent
are spread throughout the Americas and Western Europe. This is called
the African Diaspora."

The discussion is divided into sections entitled:
The Transatlantic slave trade
The origins of transatlantic slavery
west Africa before European slaving
The growth of European slaving
The european traders
The middle passage
THe scale of transatlantic slavery
Arrival in the americas
Life in the Americas (which contains a large section on resistance)
European profits
Abolition and Emancipation
The legacy of transatlantic slavery

Further details could probably be found in the gallery catalogue:
"Transatlantic Slavery: Against Human Dignity" catalogue of the
gallery, published by HMSO (Her Majesty's Stationary Office) 1994
or by contacting the Maritime Museum, National Museums and Galleries
on Merseyside, Albert Dock, Liverpool. UK.

Hope thats of help for your project - what are you planning?

Cheers,
Jane