From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:48:25 -0700
Well, as an old "Poofreader" you made me get up out of
my chair and look at my reference manual to see what
it says.  Knowing there are differing schools of
style, I'll just tell you what the Gregg Reference
Manual says.  That's used more often in business.  The
caveat is that the copy in my bookshelf is 6th
edition; don't remember which edition is at the
office; I just checked and the most current edition is
the 9th.  I can't imagine this topic changed much, but
here's what it says:

Section 289

Underscore titles of complete works that are published
as separate items--for example, books, pamphlets, long
poems, magazines, and newspapers.  Also underscore
titles of movies, plays, musicals, operas, television
and radio series, long musical compositions, and
pieces of sculpture.

I'd be inclined to treat a photo the same as a
painting or piece of sculpture in this respect (good
grief what a brouhaha that allegation could cause if
not taken in context).

For the Eats, Shoots and Leaves crew, note the coma
between compositions and and.  So that it would be
Eats, Shoots, and Leaves (LOL).

--- Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As I understand it, quotation marks imply a part of
> a whole -- such as
> placing the title of a chapter, essay, or short
> story in quotation marks but
> the title of the compilation in italics (or
> underlined).
>
> A photograph (or any work of art), as it is a whole
> in and of itself, is
> usually italicized (or underlined).
>
> Of course, AP style -- for press releases -- follows
> different rules than
> the more "academic" style most museums follow.  In
> AP style, aren't all
> titles are in quotation marks?
>
> Sincerely,
> Jay
>

> Jay Heuman, Curator of Education
> Salt Lake Art Center
> 20 South West Temple
> Salt Lake City, UT 84101
>
> T 801-328-4201
> F 801-322-4323
> E [log in to unmask]
> W www.slartcenter.org

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Indigo Nights