From:
Shannon O'Dell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:07:57 -0400
Hello,

I think using Ebay is an effective way to accomplish the "public sale"
condition in many policies.  I also think that it might be best for
institutions however, to work with a professional broker who can manage the
sale.  Possibly someone who is considered a respectible, experienced dealer
in your region or in the subject area of the items you are selling.  As a
courtsey you might alert other museums about the upcoming sale.  I have seen
manuscript and local history material ( i.e. letters, personal photos) for
sale on ebay and that is where I draw the line.  I think those kinds of
items should stay in the public domain and be offered as donations to
museums or archives that can take care of them and make them accessible, if
they do not fit your collection scope.

Shannon O'Dell, Curator
Sindecuse Museum of Dentistry
University of Michigan