From:
"Mackinney, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:28:58 PST
An excellent article on this is Minda Borun and Katherine Adams,
"From Hands On to Minds On: Labelling Interactive Exhibits,"
_Visitor Studies: Theory, Research, and Practice, Volume 4_
(Jacksonville, AL: Center for Social Design, 1992), 115-20.

It describes a formative evaluation study on a label for an
interactive device to counteract misconceptions about gravity. As
they write: "As long as the label was written didactically the two
did not interact. Device and label were sequential, but not
interdependent. Once a visitor understood how to operate the
device, the device was used, a label was read and the visitor moved
away.... What we needed was a label that created a loop, sending
the visitor back to the device to test the information, then back
to the label to interpret experience."

Minda Borun ([log in to unmask]) has done numerous evaluation studies
on labels at the Franklin Science Center. If you have trouble
finding the _Visitor Studies_ article, try contacting Steve Bitgood

Lisa Mackinney
Program Evaluator
California Academy of Sciences

-----