From:
Murph the Surf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 11:15:05 +0000
Shab Levy wrote:

> What are some museums and/or exhibitions that deal with CREATIVITY AS A
> PROCESS in a memorable and effective way.

I thought the recent John Cage exhibit "HolyRollover" (or something like
that) was a good try at presenting Cage's creative process and use of
randomness and interactivity. I'm sure it was confusing to a great many
visitors but everyone seemed to have a good time, which would have
pleased Cage.

Most American art museums are focused on issues of connoisseurship,
creating hierarchical distinctions between objects. Creativity is about
blurring those distinctions and using objects. Art museums can be seen
as one of the objects among many available for use in a creative process
so that exhibiting creativity may not be the objective. Performing
creativity may be a better way of looking at it just as Esther Dyson has
pointed out that we shouldn't value intellectual property but instead
encourage intellectual performance.

--
ROBBIN MURPHY, creative director, artnetweb
[log in to unmask]  -- http://artnetweb.com