From:
Jim Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:21:37 -0400
Speaking (writing) as a paid up member of the 'bloody minded brigade' I
cannot imaging being told what to put on my desk. I would refuse to be TOLD
that my freedom of speech was being restricted.

However, anecdotally, when I was in a civic position a few years ago and
was organising a church service for the County of which I was Chairman, I
wanted a hymn called 'Sing We a Song of High Revolt' sung to the tune of
the 'Red Flag'. The Bishop persuaded me that the tune would be the only
thing reported by the newspapers, not the other good things in the service
including an important letter from Archbishop Desmond Tutu. I took the
decision to have the hymn, but sung to a different tune, compromise being
supposedly a British virtue.

While freedom of speech does not extend to standing up in a crowded cinema
and shouting FIRE!, your laws on the matter are still important for
democracy and for the sense of being of each individual. Management should
manage the business, not the employee, that's control freakery (about which
we British also know lots!)

Jim Roberts