From:
Kendra Dillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:09:20 -0800
Hi Chris,
Even though your storage space is tight, I would
recommend that you try to keep all of the
wallpaper samples you have.  There are several
reasons, particularly since you say that they are
multi-layered.  Until you have a paper conservator
separate the layers you do not know what is
underneath the top layer.  Ideally you should save
at the least one pattern repeat plus a half of a
repeat on all four sides surrounding it.  This
will allow you to see the pattern and how it is
related to the adjoining areas.  If you keep only
certain pieces, you can not be sure that you have
a large enough sample of the patterns underneath
the top layer.

Another issue, if the paper was already removed
from the wall by someone else, is verifying which
wall of which room it came from.  You could decide
to save only a part of some pattern only to find
out later that the same top layer of paper was
used in more that one room and the different rooms
had different papers underneath.  You don't want
to destroy any potential evidence that may prove
valuable later.  There are times I've searched in
vain for any small shred of wallpaper behind
baseboards, behind light switch covers, under over
mantles, etc. and would give anything if someone
had saved the samples for me when they took it
down.

Getting a conservator to separate a sample from
each wall of each room should be a high priority.
The conservator will test small areas to determine
if the inks are soluble and what kinds of paste
was used and what solution will reverse it.  Then
you could save the rest of the samples in their
glue sandwich form.  Placing the brittle samples
in Mylar sleeves will greatly decrease the
likelihood that they will break or shatter. Then
store them flat.  Old map drawers make the perfect
storage place.

One more note of advice: with old wallpaper, what
you see is not necessarily what used to be.  In a
previous job I was fortunate to have both used
wallpaper that came off the wall of a general
store and residence after about 100 years and
unused rolls of the same paper which were either
left over from the job or sold in the store.  Some
patterns had completely reversed as the white
parts became blackened with coal dust and dirt.
Some colors were very different with gold metallic
areas turning dark green on the wall, or other
colors simply faded away.  I remember particularly
some little turquoise dots and flower petals that
totally disappeared from the sample taken down off
the wall.

Good luck with your old houses!
Kendra
Kendra Dillard