From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:54:37 GMT
Our community has a short history, 102 years ago people came to the area
looking for gold.  However, I get on the average of 2 to 3 requests per week
for information about relatives who came to Alaska looking for gold, or
later worked on the Alaska-Canadian Highway and the Richardson Highway.  We
have a Names Database compiled by a couple of local historians, which
resides on our web page, that gives reference to diaries, steamship
passenger lists, and newspapers.  Bruce Parnham of our local National
Archives office put together a 10 page list of repositories in Alaska and
around the country, and an additional page of Canadian resources where
people can look for information.

We are a small museum with a staff of 3 full-time (meaning we have permanent
jobs until the City decides to stop funding the Museum, in case you've also
been paying attention to another discussion on the List) and two part-time
employees, so there is no one to do extensive research for potential
requesters. I can do a quick search in our Archive database and mail copies
of information, and I offer to mail a copy of the resource list mentioned
above.  Researchers are welcome to visit the Museum and material is pulled,
if their is any, so they can do their own research.

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Curator of Collections
Valdez Museum