From:
Tim Aydelott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 11:12:03 -0500
Yesterday someone asked and commented about the taxonomic placement of
newts.  While I am not an expert, I am a field biologist and I was dismayed
at the writers' comments that she thought a newt was a lizard.(I deleted
the original message or I would refer more specifically) Newts are in fact,
amphibians and I searched out a very descriptive and very appropriate
description in my `Peterson's Field Guide to Western Reptiles and
Amphibians',(Stebbins,1985, pg 40) and I quote,

        " The poisonous properties of newts are not confined to their skin
secretions but are widespread throughout the body and can cause death in
most vertebrates, including man, if newt tissue is eaten in sufficient
quantity.  Newts can be handled without danger, but wash your hands after
doing so.  When a newt is slapped on the back or seized, it assumes a
characteristic sway-backed defense pose with the eyes closed, head and tail
bent upward, limbs extended, and toes flexed.  Thsi brings the bright color
of the ventral surface into view and probably serves as a warning to
potential predators."

I don't know what the rest of the list thinks, but there is a wealth of
pertinent information contained in this passage.

Tim Aydelott