From:
Richard Efthim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 14:19:16 EST
Sorry...The Naturalist Center, at the National Museum of Natural History is
a sort of reference "library" for the general public.  Instead of just having
books, the Center maintains a 30,000 object natural history collection and
scientific equipment such as microscopes, measuring tools, etc.  Collections
are stored in standard museum cabinets, so in the simplest sense the facility
is an exhibit of what goes on "begind-the-scenes."  However, its real value
is in allowing visitors to use the collections the way research scientists use
the main collections...to identify objects they have found...do research for
science fair projects...further their hobbies in rock collecting...even use
the objects for art of photography projects...anything that isn't inherently
destructive.  We run school programs in object-based learning, teacher
workshops, and hold special events.

Last year we served about 13,000 visitors over the age of 12 (our minimum age
requirement)...and helped visitors identify well over 3,000 objects that they
brought in.

In the Naturalist Center, the collections are there for visitors to answer
their own unique questions.  A docent and paid staff serve almost like
reference librarians to assist them in looking for information and in helping
them learn how to interpret the information to solve their queries.

The Naturalist Center has been a part of the Museum of Natural History for
just over 18 years now.

I hope that clarifies my earlier commentary.  If not, please let me know.

Richard Efthim, Naturalist Center
National Museum of Natural History
Washington, DC 20560
(202)357-1503   fax:(202)786-2778   [log in to unmask]