Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:46:26 -0400
SOme places' certificate programs are targetted more toward technical
museum experience, ans provide a broad overview of the field of
museology, whereas a Masters degree may have a more academic research
specialty required as well (which as why they take longer).  From programs
I know of, you would want to go for Masters of higher is you were
interested in curatorial work, where a certificate in many cases is more
suitable for collections management or administration.  I suspect that is
changing as the field coninues to professionalize and organize itself.

I guess the definition is rather murky and you need to look at each
program individually to know just what their "angle" is.

Juliette Rogers
Stephen Phillips Trust House
Salem MA