Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:21:59 -0400
From: ldewey <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue Apr 6, 2004  10:52:35 AM America/New_York
To: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Iraq donation

I did not annotate my previous post in the interest of brevity. I will
now provide some citations.

The statistics regarding people killed in the invasions and occupation
of Iraq - again 8800 to 10500, mainly civilians - have been compiled
with significant rigor, as fully described at the URL I provided
<http://www.iraqbodycount.net/>. It is reasonable to conclude that
those statistics are valid. If one decides to ignore those statistics
because they do not fit one's world view, that's a different matter.

As for the conduct of the occupying army, the world press has carried
many reports of that conduct, and of the atrocities or collateral
damage that have resulted. Here are some:

------------
"By Frank Walker March 14, 2004, Sun-Herald (Sydney)

Australia's F/A-18 pilots defied the orders of American commanders and
refused to drop their bombs on up to 40 missions during the invasion of
Iraq, it can now be revealed.

In a remarkable account of how our airmen applied Australian rules of
engagement, an RAAF pilot has told The Sun-Herald each of the 14 RAAF
Hornet pilots aborted three to four bombing runs because intelligence
given at pre-flight briefings did not concur with what they found at
the target.

Last night, The Sun-Herald could not confirm whether or not American
field commanders raised objections about the Australian pilots'
actions, nor if US pilots later carried out the bombing runs themselves.

But Australia's Defence Force chief, General Peter Cosgrove backed the
pilots' action, and said there were no recriminations.

Squadron Leader Daryl Pudney last week described how he and other
Australian F/A-18 pilots were forced to weigh up the risk of civilian
casualties in a split second before dropping their bombs.

He said pilots broke off many missions after they saw the target and
decided there was not a valid military reason to drop their bombs."
------------

------------
"Owen Gibson, Thursday June 05 2003, The Guardian (London)

BBC news reporter John Simpson has hit out against the "trigger-happy"
behaviour of US troops in Iraq and claimed he saved an old Iraqi man
from being shot by gung-ho marines.

The veteran reporter, who spent time with American forces in Tikrit,
praised British troops for their conduct during the war but said in an
interview with Soldier magazine that the Americans "lost control".

"They lost all control - screaming, shouting and kicking people,"
Simpson said, adding that US soldiers' fear of snipers led to a 'shoot
first, ask questions later' attitude.

"One of the marines shouted 'Snipers!' and put up his gun, pointing it
at a man on a rooftop. I could see it was an old boy putting out a
blanket to air and I said to him in a quiet voice that I would be the
witness at his trial for murder if he pulled the trigger. He stopped,"
said the BBC reporter...."
------------

In regard to my assertion regarding GI resistance, just last week Dan
Rather interviewed a Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia, who went AWOL while on
leave from Iraq and has since turned himself in to further protest the
war. In that report, on 60 Minutes II, Rather reported:

------------
"In his only on-camera interview while still in hiding, Mejia told 60
Minutes II that he went AWOL because he is morally opposed to a war
that has killed or wounded nearly 4,000 U.S. soldiers.

"I have only been loyal to my principles and I think that gives me the
right to decide not to be a part of something that I consider
criminal." - Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia.
------------

Mejia's story has also been reported in the Miami Herald and NY Times:

------------
"He recalled several ambushes in which other soldiers were wounded, the
"bad guys" got away and
"innocent Iraqis" were killed in crossfires.

“When I saw with my own eyes what war can do to people, a real change
began to take place within
me. I have witnessed the suffering of a people whose country is in
ruins and who are further
humiliated by the raids, patrols, and curfews of an occupying army. My
experience of this war
has changed me forever,” Mejia was quoted as saying in the news release.

"At the time, you are doing your job and you go with the flow," Mejia
said. "But you see people
dying every day. I can't tell you there was one day I woke up and said
I am against the war."
------------

In regard to others, consider this story, reported March 16 by the AP,

------------
"TIKRIT, Iraq - Two U.S. Army medics in Iraq have applied for
conscientious objector status and want to be honorably discharged from
the military because the idea of killing is "revolting" to them, their
company commander said Tuesday.

The two soldiers, both privates first class, notified the Army of their
request on Feb. 9, the day before their Germany-based 1st Battalion,
18th Infantry Regiment deployed to Iraq, Capt. Todd Grissom said.

Grissom would not identify the two soldiers, saying only that they come
from California and Illinois....

"As commanders, you don't hope for such things because if everyone in
the Army was like that we would have no one to defend us," Grissom said.
------------

Or this, also March 16, from the Army Times:

------------
"Parents of troops who have been or are deployed to Iraq, military
veterans, and family members of those killed in the Sept. 11 terrorist
attacks were among more than 100 war protestors who marched six miles
from Walter Reed Army Medical Center to the White House Monday.

It was the second leg of a two-day “Trail of Mourning and Truth”
journey that began at Dover Air Force Base, Del.

“My son is over in Iraq, and he shouldn’t be there,” said Alycia Barr
of Pine Grove, Pa. “Military families should have the courage to speak
out.”

Barr, who carried a sign that read: “Antiwar protestors are the
guardian angels of peace,” declined to name her son for fear of causing
him problems."
------------

I understand that groups of relatives of active duty troops now
regularly protest at Fort Bragg.

In regard to the 'rules of warfare,' I simply note international law,
and specifically those concerning war crimes, ratified by the UN
General Assembly in 1950, aka the Nuremberg Principles.

------------
"Principle II
The fact that internal law does not impose a penalty for an act which
constitutes a crime under international law does not relieve the person
who committed the act from responsibility under international law.

Principle III
The fact that a person who committed an act which constitutes a crime
under international law acted as Head of State or responsible
Government official does not relieve him from responsibility under
international law.

Principle IV
The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of
a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international
law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.

Principle VII
Complicity in the commission of a crime against peace, a war crime, or
a crime against humanity as set forth in Principles VI is a crime under
international law. "
------------

And the same document lists some of the crimes punishable under
international law, including

------------
"War Crimes
Violations of the laws or customs of war which include, but are not
limited to, murder, ill-treatment or deportation to slave-labor or for
any other purpose of civilian population of or in occupied territory,
murder or illtreatment of prisoners of war, of persons on the seas,
killing of hostages, plunder of public or private property, wanton
destruction of cities, towns, or villages, or devastation not justified
by military necessity."
------------

War does not save lives. As Clausewitz noted (1832), war is the
continuation of politics by other means.

Of course, one may - and the US government clearly does - argue that
the 10,000 dead Iraqi people are dead because they were 'enemy
combatants' or 'terrorists' or 'unavoidable' or some other excuse. But
clearly, world public opinion trends to another set of conclusions.

To one last point raised below, it has been pretty well established
that the Hussein government had nothing to do with September 11, and
that the WMD story was complete fiction. As Richard Clarke and Sir
Christopher Meyer have stipulated, the US government knew that there
was no connection but it wanted to invade Iraq for other reasons.
Certainly despotic, the former Iraq government posed no military threat
to the US or to other states in the region, having been well-devastated
by the prior Gulf war and ten years of continual bombardment (by the
US) and economic sanctions.

-LD