From:
Sean Gaffaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:54:39 +0300
This thread has been very interesting indeed, even to one without a great
deal of experience of NYC or art museums in general. As for the art in
question, I've never seen it so am not in a position to comment on the
"obsceneness" or lack thereof. My question would be tho', upon what grounds
can Mr. Giuliani say this or that is obscene? Is it the famous "I know
obscenity when I see it!" basis or in other words merely his personal
reaction? Is there no legal test for obscene material that can be applied?
For a nation as fond of litigation as the US seems to be I would not be
surprised if such a thing existed. Surely if museum and other public
institution funding depends on whether the Mayor "likes" it or not then
minority voices will be stifled and an important part of NYC cultural
diversity will be lost.

Hoping I am not going over old ground.

Sean

Sean M. Gaffaney
Saudi Aramco Exhibit
Tel: (9663) 877-2405 Fax: (9663) 876-6773
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Museum-L" (without the quotes).