From:
Heather Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:51:02 -0500
Christopher, Tom, Deb, and all,

Thanks for your thoughtful responses to my email.

We are in the situation that Christopher describes. We have made a distinct
effort to be proactive in our efforts to combat Internet/email threats. We
all use Firefox as a browser, rather than IE. Our server has a terrific
firewall and antivirus software (which has worked out soooo much better than
the days when it was loaded on individual work stations). We run Ad-aware,
SpyBot, CWshredder, and Microsoft AntiSpyware on the server and workstations
on a daily basis.

But we also know that currently, no matter what we do to protect ourselves,
we are still vulnerable. The hackers are staying several steps ahead of the
protections! And we need to do everything we can to make it difficult to do
harm to our system.

That's why we're looking into some sort of policy on Internet/email usage.
Our staff and volunteers have an incredibly wide range of computer
experience and education. Some are in the category of a part-time staff
member who said to me, "I don't need to use Firefox, I'll just use Yahoo or
Google." And then there are the teenaged volunteers who sit at a vacant
workstation while waiting to give a house tour and download something that
could potentially be dangerous. We have had most of the situations that
Christopher describes occur here at one time or another. A policy that
restricts certain dangerous practices could cover everyone.

We want to do everything we can to protect our computer system from danger.

Heather Price
Ella Sharp Museum
Jackson, Michigan
www.ellasharp.org