Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 19:57:09 EST
We have been on the internet for slightly over a year through the courtesy
of Queen's University at Kingston. Our collections data base consisting
of artifacts, archival records, books, pictorial and periodicals is online
in the library system which in turn is available through most other
university systems and the internet. The search facility, eg author,
title, subject etc is the same as most bibliographic systems. For us the
connection with and through the university system is a blessing.
We have two direct lines to Queen's, one in our lobby for public access and
the other in our library for staff and other research needs.
Currently there are over 40,000 records in the system, many of these being
pointer records that direct people to hard copy finding aids.
Records are being added on almost a daily basis.
We are now in the final stages of establishing a List for the use of
maritime historians and maritime museums.

Maurice Smith, Curator, Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston.