From:
Karin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 12:19:54 CAT-2
Hi

We use batch numbers for some of our collectins with in collections.
My main collection is bones but I do have secondary collections
nl:Footprint casts, shells, and some valuable archaeological
collections.  I gave these batch numbers within my cataloque book and
then made a seperate catalogue book for them.

We use the abbreviation of our departmental name AZ (Archaeozoology)
at the start of the numbers.
In the main cataloque it states:
AZ 3000 Gobabeb Material  Bushman Goat herd site  Collector: Dr B
Brain Check Gobabeb cataloque.

In the Gobabeb cataloque it states:
AZ 3000.1 Ovis Capra      LF Humerus      Canivore damadge.

This has proven the best method in our museum.  It does not clutter
the main cataloque book and it ensures that the collection with in a
collection is cataloqued together for easy reference.

Hopes this helps!

Miss Karin Scott
Collections Manager: Archaeozoology
Transvaal Museum