From:
John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:15:36 -0600
Kev,

I can only say what we have learned. Go for big. Computer monitors are hard
enough to read, and we have found that big, as in 18 to 24 point type is easy
to read. Audio redundancy helps. Many visitors would probably walk right by an
exhibit item that had a page of text in 12 point type to explain the item. Of
course, the argument that computers can provide a depth of information is
proving true this month. We are mirroring a Web site in a computer exhibit.
Although there are a few little technical glitches, what we have found is that
people who are familiar with the Internet spend a lot of time at the exhibit,
upwards of 10 to 15 minutes, reading pages and pages of text. This is raising
more questions, but people some people find the depth of information valuable.

So, based on experience, the answer to your question is, it depends. It depends
on what you are trying to accomplish with the exhibit. If you are doing games
or simulation, large text is appropriate. If you are trying to add some depth
and breadth with the interactive, then you could get away with smaller font
sizes.

--john chadwick