From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:12:12 -0800
On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Janis Wilkens wrote:

> As part of our programming for Museum Day, we are including
> demonstrations of exibitry techniques--"How we construct a diorama" sort
> of thing.  Is this the kind of thing you're thinking of?

Perhaps in part, but these general overviews are sometimes generalized to
the pint where they lose the gritty feel of how THIS exhibit was really
done.  General-type stories often gloss over the "real" for a glorified,
sanitized understanding of real people solving problems and working together.

Look at how Bravo TV network will cover the production of a play or
opera, or look at the fictional "Day for Night" film by Truffaut to see
the ways that time schedules sometimes jam things up, or two curators
might have conflicting needs and those must get resolved, etc.  People do
better by seeing how curating (or science, or thinking) really proceeds
to know what cultural production really means.

Richard Perry
UC San Diego