From:
Elizabeth Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:51:02 -0500
I am doing some research on museum job descriptions for a salary comparison
study (museums and the for-profit sector) for the Association of Midwest
Museums and am looking for suggestions of/from institutions that have
recently created positions that may have been untypical in that institutions
-- specifically, positions that have fairly direct comparisons to ones in
the profit sector, such as marketing, PR, business development, brand
positioning, etc. The thinking behind this question is that while we all
know what curators and registrars do, for example, these positions are not
as easily compared to different types of organizations (for profit or not).
We're looking for descriptions of any positions that are 1) new to your
organazation, particularly in response to pressures to drum up funds and
develop relationships with the corporate world and 2) any jobs within the
museum which have skill sets and responsibilities similar to those in the
"outside world."

Additionally, I seem to remember reading somewhere that AAM has a document
listing different types of museum positions and standard job descriptions --
is this available on the web anywhere?

Thank you
Beth Watkins
Lake County (IL) Museum