From:
Heidi Wing Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:57:38 -0400
Curatorial Internship available in Lexington, Virginia, beginning in mid-August. Please see information below, or contact [log in to unmask] for more information. Thank you!

Stonewall Jackson House
Lexington, Virginia
Curatorial Intern Opening

This is a short-term (four month) paid position on the professional staff.   The internship will begin on or near August 16, 2010, and end on or near December 22, 2010, with time off over Thanksgiving.

The Stonewall Jackson House (SJH) is a small historic house museum located in Lexington, Virginia. Its mission is to preserve Jackson’s former home and its collections and to educate the public by interpreting the life, character, and times of Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson. Special emphasis is placed upon Jackson’s life as a professor, church leader, businessman, husband, and community leader during the decade that he lived in Lexington and taught at the Virginia Military Institute before the American Civil War.

The SJH has been a museum since 1954. The house and garden are open to the public daily, and annual visitation is approximately 20,000. Tours of the site are provided by volunteers and staff. The Museum Shop on the ground floor of the house specializes in books, prints, and Jackson related materials. In addition to daily tours, the SJH sponsors educational programs, research, and publications.

Lexington, founded in 1778 and named for the Massachusetts village of Revolutionary War fame, is a pleasant community located about 185 miles southwest of Washington, DC, and about 50 miles north of Roanoke, Virginia. The town of about 7,000 is the home of the Virginia Military Institute and Washington and Lee University. The town boasts six museums and study centers: the George C. Marshall Library and Museum, the V.M.I. Museum, Lee Chapel, Washington and Lee’s Reeves Center for Research and Exhibition of Porcelain and Paintings, the Rockbridge Historical Society, and the Stonewall Jackson House.

The Curatorial Intern will work under the supervision of the museum’s Executive Director. This is a full-time, Monday through Friday position with traditional office hours (normally 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), with occasional evening and weekend hours. The intern is responsible for his or her own housing arrangements, although staff of the SJH will assist in identifying possibilities. The stipend for this position is $1,400 per month.  No insurance benefits are provided.

The intern will be responsible for providing care for the artifacts in the collection of the SJH and for aspects of care for the house itself. This involves routine care and maintenance, some cataloging, and entering portions of the photographic collection of the museum into PastPerfect.

Responsibilities of this position include:
•	The Integrated Pest Management program
•	Researching and writing exhibit text for an outdoor wayside exhibit panel; identifying graphics and overseeing the production and installation of the panel in the garden by outside contractors
•	Providing tours of the house to the public and assisting in the museum shop as needed
•	Monitoring the climate control systems to provide appropriate levels of temperature and RH for museum collections
•	Submitting information on proposed accessions for review by the director and collections committee
•	Supervising the work of an undergraduate work-study student
•	Coordinating special public events, including Apple Day (Saturday, October 9, 2010) and Christmas Candlelight tours (Friday evening, December 17, 2010)
•	Other duties as assigned

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:

The ideal candidate will be a graduate student or recent graduate with a Master’s Degree in an applicable field, such as Museum Studies or Public History.   Candidates with undergraduate degrees and museum experience will be considered.

This position requires knowledge of generally accepted curatorial practices and procedures pertaining to handling, documenting, housing and storing museum artifacts.

This position requires someone skilled in written and verbal communication with the ability to speak to groups of all ages.

This position requires someone with the ability to lift and move 20 lbs.

Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and PastPerfect collections software are required.

Application Procedure

Please submit a cover letter indicating your future career goals, citizenship status, and informing us of why you wish to intern at the Stonewall Jackson House. Explain or detail any relevant work experience.

Please submit a resume that includes your full name and contact information (mailing address, email address, phone number), educational experience (school or college, dates attended, degree awarded, and field of study), and work experience.

Please provide the names of three references, including your relationship to them, and their contact information (mailing address, email address, phone number).

Please return the signed Stonewall Jackson Foundation Release Form with your application.

Information may be mailed to: Stonewall Jackson House, ATTN: Executive Director, 8 E. Washington Street, Lexington, VA 24450. All application materials must be received before July 16, 2010.

Stonewall Jackson Foundation Release Form

I authorize the Stonewall Jackson Foundation to obtain information about me from schools, teachers, previous employers and other references. I authorize schools, teachers, previous employers, and references to disclose information to the Foundation about me and I release all parties and persons connected with any request for information from all claims, liability, and damage that may arise from the release or use of that information.

I certify that the statements that I have made in applying for this internship and in supporting documents provided by me to the Stonewall Jackson Foundation are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I understand that if I receive an internship any false or incomplete statements made in this application and supporting documents or during the interview will be sufficient grounds for discharge from the internship.

Signature of Applicant						Date

Printed Name of Applicant