From:
Amelia Hubbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:41:57 -0500
Hi, my name is Amy Hubbard and I am a student at Beloit College in
WIsconsin.  As part of my Museum Studies class we are doing an annotated
bibliography assignment and need 8 sources.  Unfortunatley, since my topic
is sort of specific I am having trouble locating many of the books!  My
grangfather, Lee Parsons, was a South AMerican archaeologist who did
several rubbings of some now fairly deteorated sites.  Unfortunately, he
kept them in his home and his cigarette-smoking stained some of the
rubbings beyind recognizability.  Upon his death, my family was given the
rubbings and are still trying to decide what to do with them.  So, I
decided to do my annotated bibliography research on removing tarry residues
caused by cigarette smoke, or even residue caused by fires.  It does not
specifically have to be the removal from rubbings, but I would like to try
to stick within the realms of linen, textile, or wool cloth or rubbings or
whatever.  And just so you know, I am NOT going to try to clean the
rubbings myself..  you may think this is a strange comment, however,
several of the conservators I contacted never answered any of my questions
and always mentioned at the end of their e-mails that I should not attempt
to clean them myself.  WEll, don't worry guys.... I wouldn't even dream of
it.  If anyone has an idea please let me know!  Thanks, Amy