From:
Ali Parsa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:41:33 -0500
Hello Ian,

You wrote:

> ... I cannot help but feel a degree of alarm at the idea of
>selling collections for this purpose, it is a most dangerous road to
>travel and if memory serves me well is not exactly in accord with
>ICOM and other codes of practice. I would be very grateful if you
>could clarify your position here, as I may have misunderstood your
>intentions.

Thanks for your kind concern. Our intention is to raise money for
our science museum/center, which is to be built in a piece of land
allocated to our non-profit, non-governmental Foundation by Tehran
Municipality. The calculator collection is not *our* collection, it
is donated by a collector of electronics equipment to our Foundation
for fund-raising purposes. Here is my original post in which I said
'... a collection...':

> > Zirakzadeh Science Foundation, as part of its fund-raising efforts
> > to finance the building of a science museum, is offering a
> > collection of electrical and electronic calculators to science
> > museums and collectors.

As for the ICOM, and other, codes of practice, I would appreciate if
you could provide us with more info. concerning such ventures (ie,
selling items to raise money).

Thanks again for your warning, which may turn out to be well
justified.

Ali Parsa
Director
Zirakzadeh Science Foundation

email: [log in to unmask]          Tel: +98 21 878-9270
                               Fax: +98 21 646-2613