Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:36:39 EST
The recent discussion on Museum-L about the existence of IMLS and the
conservation projects we fund heartens me.  It is encouraging to hear
(unsolicited) Susan W.'s comments:

"I have worked with IMS basis conservation survey grants at two museums and
would encourage anyone who would be helped by a survey of their collection to go
for it.  I used to think that because one collection's needs were so basic
(shelves, boxes, getting everything off the floor) that IMS would not be
interested, but they were."

I would like to add that the Conservation Assessment Program's deadline is
December 6, 1996.  Applications can be obtained by contacting the National
Institute for Conservation by phone at 202-625-1495 or fax at 202-625-1485.  The
Conservation Project Support (CP) applications were mailed to museums recently
and should be received by the end of this month.  The criteria used was if a
museum has applied to the General Operating Support or CP programs in the last
three years it is on our mailing list for guidelines.  If you are unsure your
museum is on this mailing list please call our program office at 202-606-8539.
Please feel free to contact me or our other staff members through our general e-
mail address <[log in to unmask]> if there are further questions or concerns.

We will continue to keep museum professionals informed of any news, including
IMLS, that affects them through Museum-L, Access newsletter, Federal Register
and professional conferences.

Sincerely,
Tania Said
Public Affairs Assistant
Institute of Museum and Library Services