From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:45:49 GMT
Vincent, you have just made my day.

We allowed the local visitors' bureau to host a reception at the Museum for
a travel conference they were hosting.  I was the staff person present that
night.  I live in a small town in Alaska, so our history (non-Native) began
a hundred years ago.  We have on exhibit a bronze statue that is about 20
years old.  When I asked a gentleman from England to please not touch it, he
laughed at me.  (No offense to the English, he just happened to be from
there).  "You call this history?" he said.  When I tried to explain that we
take care of things now, so many years from now they will still exist.  He
told me in England the statues are all outside and they encourage people to
touch them.  It doesn't hurt them, you can't remove the finish.  And, you
know what pigeons do to them.  I thought at first he was joking, but soon
found out he was quite irritated at me.  I wish I'd had a copy of your post
to show him.

Jerrie