From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:02:41 -0500
Yes, it is standard language to protect intellectual property (although
I hope somewhere it specifies how you CAN use the work) and is probably
in all of this firm's paperwork.

Yes, work for hire frequently results in you owning the copyright.

But not always - it depends on what you are paying for. That may be why
the proposal is "reasonable."

My husband is an artist, and he will price jobs depending on whether the
client wants to own all rights, or only wants to use the art for a
specific purpose. A design used for one purpose - say, a brochure  - is
less expensive than a design that will be used for brochures, business
cards and on their website.

I'd suggest thinking about what other ways you might want to use the
design of the installation now or in the future (a book or brochure
featuring images from the installation?  Images on your website or in a
DVD from the installation?) and make sure all uses you are interested in
are spelled out in the contract. Or, ask for a quote where you receive
all rights.

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
Rochester, NY
(585) 546-7029 x12

www.landmarksociety.org

Our mission is to discover, protect, and revitalize the architectural
and related cultural heritage of the Rochester region, and to
educate and inform our community about that heritage.