From:
"Smith, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:39:16 -0500
Late last year I posted a message to both museum-l and mcn-l asking whether
there are any musuems that are using e-learning for staff training and
development.  "e-learning" is a broad term that covers distance learning,
Web-based training and the like.  A number of people sent information, but
there were also posts from people who want to learn more.

Here is a basic resource list to introduce e-learning. This is just a
beginning list; there are many more resources out there.  Please note that I
am not in a position to endorse training or the organizations that provide
it.

And I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who is planning or
developing Web-based training content, because I think there is a lot of
potential for this to be a useful way to provide at least some of the
training that is needed.

Barbara Smith

E-learning Resources:  A Basic List

Here's a good example of effective Web-based training on a museum-related
topic:  the National Park Service's "Managing Archaeological Collections"
web-based training: http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/collections/index.htm.  If
you're new to Web-based learning, this is a good introduction.

The TechLearn Conference each autumn is three days focused on all facets of
e-learning.  You can look at, and in many cases, hear the presentations from
last October's conference at:  http://www.techlearn.com.

The American Society for Training and Development (ASTD) provides some
excellent e-learning resources via their Web site, including a glossary and
monthly articles on different aspects of developing and managing e-learning:
http://www.astd.org/virtual_community/Comm_elrng_rdmap/e_lrng_comm.html

At least two universities offer online courses on museum methods, skills and
management:

University of Victoria (BC): www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp/de.htm

University of Waterloo (ON):  Cultural Management Institute:
http://ccm.uwterloo.ca/cpdp/index.cfm

And there are a surprising number of books available on Web based training.
I picked up one at my local public library.  Amazon had more than a dozen
listed.  Search under "web based training."

There are many e-learning companies, offering all kinds of training, the
management of training, and more.  You'll find some companies at the
TechLearn site (see above).  Many offer free demos on their Web sites.

Barbara G. Smith,  Technology Officer
Institute of Museum and Library Services
1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Room 802
Washington, DC 20506

voice:    202/606-5254
fax:       202/606-1077