From:
Cathy Ricciardelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 14:52:35 -0600
On Mon, 9 Jan 1995, Tim Bosher wrote:

> The Preparators Department at the Museum of Victoria (Melbourne,
> Australia) have asked me to forward the following message to MUSEUM-L.
>
> *       Do you have a Preparator's Department in your museum?

No, not a department.  The Exhibition technicians are part of the
Registrar's department.  They report to the Supervisor/exhibition
technicians who in turn reports to the Registrar.

> *       If so - over time have staffing levels increased, decreased, etc?

Over the last ten years we have added technicians to the staff.  However,
in the last five years we have not had a staffing increase although the
number of exhibitions has increased.  This has forced us to depend on
temporary staff.

> *       Where do preparators fit within your organisation structure

The technicians and the Registration department are part of the
Curatorial division.

> *       If staffing levels have changed, how has this affected quality of
>         output, costs, time, use of external contractors etc.

We depend on outside contractors and "temporary" art handlers for
exhibition installation.

Cathy Ricciardelli
Registrar
Minneapolis Institute of Arts