Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 00:26:54 -0400
Dear Colleagues,
Below is information on a film about the new basketball sensation from  China, Yao Ming. According to Lisa Ling who produced the film, it is also a film about the Asian American experience. Her comments are below. Please pass information on.

Terri McNichol
Ren Associates

Film Premiere: Basketball Diplomacy: From Mao to Yao

MSNBC Premieres Sunday, June 1, 8-10 p.m. ET, Repeats Sunday, June 1, 11p.m.-1 a.m.

>From Lisa Ling (formerly cohost of ABC¡morning show The View and currently National Geographic's Ultimate Explorer host)

Dear Friends,
When I got the job as host of National Geographic's Ultimate Explorer, I begged the producers to let my first documentary be about a story I've been dying to do.  Growing up Asian American, in an almost entirely
Caucasian community, I always felt conflicted about my identity. I would learn that this feeling was a common one in immigrant communities. About three years ago, I learned of this remarkable young and very tall
basketball player in China who was posed to become a superstar in America's NBA:  Yao Ming. I knew that if he could prove himself, Yao Ming could effectively become the most influential bridge between two countries that have historically had a somewhat difficult relationship: the US and China. I believed that this one guy could help to change so many
stereotypes that have plagued immigrants forever.  On the surface: he's literally larger than life, he's an exceptionally talented athlete and he's a powerhouse of a man. He's also such a humble, intelligent and
gracious person who values his family and his team. Well, because I was so passionate about him, the producers let me make this film.  It's called
Basketball Diplomacy: From Mao to Yao.   I have to tell you, Yao Ming has exceeded all of my expectations.  I spent some time with him and he opened himself in a way that I've never seen in the thousands of interviews that he's done.  He has really provided such a tangible window into the changes that are taking place in China and has come to symbolize China's emergence as a global superpower.  His access to the Chinese market is undeniable and he is under so much pressure to deliver because over a billion people in China and people all over the world are counting on him.
But despite the pressure, he has carried himself in such an elegant way and he's proven that he's got mad game.  This film really isn't about basketball; it's about an emerging nation, the immigrant struggle and
globalization. If you could help me spread the word about this film, I would be truly grateful.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Lisa Ling

For more detailed info about this film and Lisa Ling, please visit
http://www.msnbc.com/news/NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC_Front.asp?0si=-