Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 01:24:28 -0400
Oddly enough, I have been approached by two separate individuals in the last
few weeks with regard to how to handle ownership of pre-colombian art. It is
my understanding that possession of such artifacts is illegal in the US,
under any circumstances, and there is a prison term meted out to offenders.
Questions: is this correct? What about in Europe? I know it is unethical to
buy and sell pc art, but what about legally? If someone were to have a piece
and want to return it to the country of origin, what is the safest way to do
so? Is there any situation in which an individual is legally ok to own such
an artifact? Does it make any difference if the piece was received as a gift
or inherited? Any museum lagal eagles out there? TIA,

- Adrienne