From:
Jon Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:11:47 -0500
Dear Sarah,

human remains in various conditions that have been autopsied, disinterred,
or are in the process of being restored (so that a viewing can take place).

In an effort to be sensitive to the individual deceased and to that
individual's family or friends, we have a policy of only making those
photos available to qualified researchers who simply need to describe the
nature of their study.  Thus far, access has been granted to funeral
directors, mortuary school students, and archaeologists.  In other words,
we don't exhibit them publicly.  We do, however, collect and publicly
exhibit post-mortem photos.  We feel that in so doing there is no
difference than what might have seen at a public viewing of the remains.

I hope that this is helpful.

Best regards,

Jon N. Austin, Director
Museum of Funeral Customs
1440 Monument Avenue
Springfield, IL   62702
217-544-3480
217-544-3484 (fax)
www.funeralmuseum.org

The Museum operates under the auspices of the Illinois Funeral Directors
Association and the Illinois Funeral Service Foundation, a 501 ( c ) 3
non-profit corporation.