From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:26:21 -0400
I would not reccomend using this technique of bagging and heating an
object for pest erardication - especially for an organic composite
object (rocks might be ok) unless you enjoy cooked moose.

Organic materials are especially reactive to sudden changes in
termperature and relative humidity. using the technique that was
described would pull moisutre out of the object as it heated and then
possibly condensate that water vapor along the sides of the plastic as
liquid water. The organic materials would first shrink and then swell
and any non-organic components (such as plaster or metal) would not,
creating stresses where they are joined. You also might have fur
shedding and other nasty surprises in store if you try this.

Humidity is also a big concern when contemplating freezing an artifact
and you should always have a precise description of the condition of
any object and any potential issues based on a professional examination
before using any sort of temnperature technique for pest eradication.

Also, as many people know, there is a long history of toxins such as
arsenic used on natural history specimens and mounts as well as on many
native american artifacts - you it behooves anyone working with these
types of collections to use all due caution in handling them - always
assume a toxin is present unless proved otherwise.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator