From:
Holly Trimper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 1994 21:08:38 EDT
Disclaimer:  if the following topic has already been brought up and
"discussed" to death, I apologize for being a newcomer and missing the
dialogue.

Museums are moving towards computerizing their artifact collections, either
using antiquated DOS databases (artifacts themselves) or super-slick CD-ROM
databases.  Some of these databases have the capabilities to be dialed into
via modem so that institutions can share their collections more readiliy.
 From the literature in journals and such this move seems to be welcomed,
encouraged, et cetera.  My question is this:  Has there been any discussion
on the intra-institution security issues involved in dial-in access?  A
friend of mine who is the curator at the Des Plaines (IL) Historical Society
recently purchased the Snap database for her museum and was horrified at the
idea that other museums could someday simply dial in and look at her
collection.  Is this an unfounded fear or has it crossed the minds of anyone
else out there?  (This dial-in sharing is the motivation behind the push for
consistency in object cataloguing, yes?)