From:
gordon murdock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 14:53:21 -0500
Two comments in response to Matthew White's note of July 25

1)  With respect to computer discussions:  perhaps there's a happy medium?  I
think there are some issues about making education, collections and exhibition
materials available on the net that are profitably discussed here.  Those of us
who are not computer junkies learn some useful things.  But if it gets to
detailed discussions of various packages, that, I think, belongs on another
listserver.  I like getting generally useful information and cannot handle the
output of another list.

2)  Matthew's question about access is a good one.  Probably we all agree that
we have obligations to our users (better than "visitors Matt?), but the question
may be is our obligation the same to all possible users.  Are there gray areas?
If a museum is small, and cannot afford the renovation to provide unlimited
access to part of its space, must it limit its offerings to the space available
to all?  Is it that if all can't see it, none may see it?  Does this apply to
people with visual impairments and other problems as well?  How many museums
honor this (in fact, not in intent)?

The answer may be yes.  Everything must be accessible to all.  And at least part
of the moral argument (never mind the legal ones) may be that if one can dismiss
access problems, the pressure is off to solve them and they will persist for
ever.  If we could count on everyone to do what is right always and without
rules, what a wonderful world it would be.  Perhaps we could get an opinion on
this from the Regents of the University of California?

Gordon Murdock
Bell Museum of Natural History
and Museum Studies Minor Program
University of Minnesota