From:
Delphine Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 09:07:31 -0400
I hope none of `your typical guards` read this.

>My wife's company, Horizon Institute, Inc., produces training videos. When
>she produced a series of museum security officer training videos, we
>consulted with about a half dozen experts in adult education and training
>about the ideal length for each module.  We concluded that we would have a
>diverse group of trainees and that the ideal video length would be no more
>than 20 minutes with 15 minutes ideal. This assumed a relatively rapid fire
>change in video images. Our experts included people like John Chuvala, a
>professor at Northern Illinois University who specializes in adult training
>and education and how adults learn.
>
>The training program is widely used in museums (The Horizon Institute Basic
>Museum Security Officer Training Program) and one criticism of museums before
>they see the program is that the videos are too short. They feel that unless
>they are longer they are not getting their money's worth. But after using the
>program for any period of time we've had many users who have called to say
>that the length is just right.
>
>Don't jump to conclusions that our security trainees are less intelligent or
>less motivated to the arts, or whatever, and that the tapes have to talk down
>to them and be shorter in length.  We have found that some museums employ
>students--even art students--as guards, some employ teachers, etc. for
>special exhibits and the length is about right for everyone, not just your
>typical guard.
>
>I hope that this information is useful to you. If my wife or I can share any
>more advice as producers of over 40 videos on a variety of subjects, please
>feel free to call me at (904) 789-3225.
>
>I realize it is very difficult to say a great deal in such a short program.
>We struggled with getting our message out in 15 minutes and it was tough.
>
>Steve Keller
>Museum Security Consultant

Delphine G. Bishop
Chief, Registration/Chef, Enregistrement
National Gallery of Canada/Musée des beaux-arts du Canada
Ottawa, Ontario

Tel 613.990.1959
Fax 613.990.8689
Email [log in to unmask]

           CHECK US OUT ONLINE!                GARDEZ L`OEIL OUVERT!

           http://national.gallery.ca          http://musee.beaux-arts.ca