From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 10:12:56 -0400
Dear fellow subscribers,
I invite you to check out the Society of American Silversmiths website
maintained by JeffreyHerman.

http://www.ids.net/~slvrsmth/clean.htm# Cleaning Silver

He suggested Tarnishield which has the wax built into the formula. I
save on Renaissance wax and elbow grease at the same time. Tarnishshield
is found at Home Depot and possibly Lowe's.Eventually it will tarnish
again but not as fast as applying some other cleaners.
To really retard reoxidization silver should be thoroughly cleaned in
the old way as in CCI's bulletin and then airbrushed with
Incralac/Syncralac.
This is tricky and requires wetting the entire piece uniformly and
quickly or "rainbowing " ( actual bands of subtle color will appear in
the dried finish) which means starting all over again. A turntable in
the fume hood is highly recommended to perform this tricky task.
Regards

Len Hambleton - Chief Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
5 East Edenton Street
Raleigh NC. 27601-1011
919-715-0200 x244
"Information in the spirit of sharing,catch the wave!"

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency