From:
Sally Baulch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 13:07:58 -0600
I was told that sling psychrometers measured your sweat better than it
measured the surrounding environment.

For those of you with small budgets and lots of spaces to measure, why
stick with the hydrothermagraphs that are hard to move and need to be
recallibrated every time you do?

We have two dataloggers and have a rotating schedule of two weeks to one
month to measure exhibit spaces and storage spaces in five different
buildings.  Recently conservators checked an exhibit case to
make sure the RH was low enough to stop a meteorite from rusting (quick
and dirty testing and they were able to "fix" a case to house an object
better than it would have been in storage.)  We've also used the
datalogger to prove to university powers-that-be that one of our
buildings is not adequately heated/cooled by giving them charts from
different rooms in the building (not that it'll do any good, but I feel
better.)

Caveat: the program kept crashing a computer at first and our conservator
had to battle it out with the company, but even with that, we have hard
data that is EASY to use.

We have ten beached hydrothermagraphs rusting into oblivion...I predict
that the one sitting in collection storage space will be accessioned by some
future CM if I don't move it out.

Sally Baulch
Collections Manager, Anthropology/History
Texas Memorial Museum