From:
MR JAY S SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:31:25 -0500
Museum-Lers:

The Reno County Museum, a mid-size county museum located in
Hutchinson, Kansas (pop. 40,000-county is 64,000) is about
to embark on its first long range plan in 6 years.  We have
discussed many issues relevant to beginning the process such
as the composition and size of the committee, the frequency
and duration of the committee's meetings, etc.

I have been asked by our Board of Director's to gather
information in the form of long range plans from museum's
similar in size and mission, as well as from larger
institutions.  I should inform you that we have
approximately 10,000 sq. feet of exhibit space divided into
five galleries and a children's interactive area.  We have
approximately 35,000 artifacts in our collection.  Our
audience is mostly from our county, but the percentage of
visitors from outside the county, as well as other states is
growing.

If possible, I would appreciate having copies of other long
range plans sent to me.  If that is not possible, I wonder
if you would be willing to share some thoughts with me
concerning potential problems, success stories, points to
consider, etc., concerning the goals and outcomes of long
range planning committees.

In addition, I would be willing to share costs of postage
and copying provided you let me know in advance.  I can be
contacted through the following addresses:

(e-mail) [log in to unmask]

(U.S. Mail)

Jay Smith
Executive Director
Reno County Museum
P.O. Box 664
Hutchinson, Kansas  67504
(316) 662-1184 phone
(316) 662-0236 fax

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me.

Jay Smith
Reno County Museum