From:
Melissa Jolley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:20:27 -0400
We are looking for a permanent storage option for about 10 to 15 paintings.
I have been researching a few different systems and wondered if anyone has
had experience with the same debate of pros and cons as we are currently
having.

Our first thought for storage is a wooden box with slot spaces for each
painting to be stored vertically. In order to prevent off gassing from the
wood, I have seen suggestions to purchase a low or no formaldehyde MDF such
as Medite II. If this is the wood used in construction, will it still need a
barrier layer applied to the wood? Two of the most recommended options for
the barrier are Marvelseal or Cagmer Polyglaze 146.
I would appreciate anyone’s opinion about which works best, is most cost
effective and other suggestions of any similar products.
Also, when using Marvelseal, does it need to be replaced every few years?
Would the Polyglaze have to be recoated as the years go by?

After researching I have also seen hanging storage is a popular way to house
paintings. I realize that using metal would help with the off gassing issue.
However, the space that we have to fit the storage into is fairly small, and
the wall we have for the space cannot be used to mount a storage system.
Because we are not able to mount the screen system, it is questionable if we
could safely create a free standing hanging storage piece. Are there any
ideas or solutions to address this problem?

One other option we have come up with is to make a box similar to the wooden
vertical slot box but instead of using wood use Lexan or plexiglass (to help
with the off gassing issue). Has anyone had any experience with this?

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for any information you can provide!

Melissa Jolley
Curator, Redcliffe State Historic Site
Beech Island, SC

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one
place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01