From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 05:39:54 -0500
My impression, as a dedicated patron of vineyards and associated cultural
phenomena, is that my colleagues and I are mostly there for the vino!

On a more serious note, I think you have to differentiate between the
"exhibits" that are part of almost every winery open to the public and the
actual museums, which are generally established by local government bodies
or the industry itself. While there are zillions of the former, there are
relatively few examples of the latter.

As to the effect of either kind on local tourism, there is no doubt that
people find vineyards interesting places to visit. The scenery is usually
picturesque, with the possible exception of (forgive me, southern
Californians) the Temicula Valley (but even then one of its smaller
vineyards produces an excellent Montrachet and another vineyard a port that
has to be tasted to believe!). The process of making the wine is something
many people find interesting and, of curse, they all like to taste the wine.
If you consider wineries as exhibits in the broadest sense, there seems
little doubt that the things that you can see and learn about (the
"exhibits") have a substantial impact on tourism. A number of vineyards
become known also for their excellent restaurants (in areas where
restaurants may be hard to find); people not otherwise interested in wine
production do often visit these. (In the Temicula Valley, there is one
vineyard specializing in champagne-style wines. The "champagne" is as
ghastly as any I have ever tasted, but the food in their little restaurant,
all dishes of which are allegedly made with their "champagne", is really
quite good.)

I very much doubt, however, that the real "wine museums" have nearly as
great an impact, as the people who go to them would, I imagine, but do not
know, have made the decision to visit primarily to visit the vineyards in
the area.

Harry

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you
are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup"

Harry Needham
President
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Training & consulting services for heritage institutions
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata, Ontario K2L 1H1
Canada
email: [log in to unmask]