From:
Lenora Henson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:28:02 -0400

Hi Everyone,

First of all, please excuse any cross-postings . . . I’m looking for all

the help I can get . . .

Here at the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site (Buffalo,

NY), we are in the process of creating exciting new exhibitions based on

our updated interpretive themes.  Our plan calls for the development of an

exhibit that will highlight some of the most pressing issues facing the

nation at the start of Roosevelt’s presidency, which began following the

assassination of William McKinley in 1901.  In an effort to bring the past

to life and help our visitors understand how these issues impacted “the

guy/gal on the street,” we are seeking stories about specific

individuals—famous or not—for inclusion in the exhibit.  We would very much

appreciate your help in this effort.

We are seeking documented personal stories from a wide geographic area that

speak to the themes listed below.  We are not fussy about the format of the

stories (diaries, letters, oral histories, editorials, etc. are all fine),

but would like to be able to put a face with the story, so an image of the

person in question would be a bonus.  I am hoping that, somewhere out there

(maybe in a collection you work with/are aware of), there are stories that

illustrate one or more of the following themes:

- Using vs. conserving natural resources

- Immigrants & immigration

- Concerns of the working class vs. those of the “bosses”

- Racial injustices

- Challenges of living in an urban environment

- Industry/business run amok (ie, no government regulation)

- Gender inequalities

- Role of the U.S. as an emerging world power (following the

Spanish-American War)

For instance, perhaps you know of . . . a turn-of-the-20th-century journal

written by someone who watched (and commented on) as all of the nearby

forests were lost to logging operations . . . or, a fabulous oral history

from a coal miner who was involved in the coal strike of 1902 . . . or,

even a letter written by a business owner complaining about how the

government keeps trying to tell him how to run his business.  We are

especially interested in knowing and understanding the full arc of a

person’s life as it was affected by the issue.  However, if you have a

great source, but do not know the full story, please feel free to share

that with us as well.

In conclusion, if you are aware of any primary source material that speaks

to the above issues, please contact me before September 30th.  I can be

reached via e-mail at: [log in to unmask]; by telephone at (716)

884-0095; or by fax at (716) 884-0330.  To begin, we would appreciate a

brief note about the individual and the primary source, not necessarily the

full source.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.  I look forward to

hearing any/all stories that might be out there.

Gratefully,

Lenora Henson

PS - If you know of someone else who might be able to help us in our

search, please feel free to forward this message to them.

Lenora M. Henson

Curator - Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural NHS

641 Delaware Avenue

Buffalo, NY  14202

Phone: (716) 884-0095 x14

Fax: (716) 884-0330