From:
Amy Bissonette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:13:41 -0800
I replied earlier, but I wanted to say something I
forgot before.  Getting real job to save money to go
on to a program that you like is a good idea as well.
And, while you have this 'real job', you can still do
volunteer work that interests you and will help you
network.  I not in a postion that hires (being fairly
low on the museum totem-pole) but taking a little time
to build a nest egg should not deter poeple from
hiring you later on.  Just be honest about it and then
relay the skills you learned that could help you in
that position.  Or, I also worked part time in the
visitor services department of the museum I work in
now (Art Institute of Chicago) and it helped me
network a great deal.  I didn't like it that much, it
was grunt work, but some of the people I worked with
were in the same boat as me and I was able to meet
other people within the museum and look at the
internal job board every day.  That is how I got the
Archives Assistant job I have now.  I don't plan on
staying here for ever either, but it's all been very
valuable and good a stepping stone.  Okay, enough of
my rambling!  Good luck! Amy