From:
Collections Dude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 01:37:55 -0500
The answer to this question can only be found inside oneself.  Your professors,
my collegues and myself cannot, with any sense of assurity, put your minds at
ease.  Do you want to work in a museum?  Why?  What size of musuem and in what
capacity?  Are you willing to relocate, and do you expect to make lots of money
are key questions you need to ask yourself.  Competition for museum jobs is
thick, and with students recieving specialized training and obtaining a masters
degree in museum studies, the competition will not slacken.  With respect to
this, museums should hire these students, after all it is to this end that we
are looking towards - developing our professional core.  If a company needs a
_chemist_, most likely they won't hire a physicist or geologist (even though
both know chemistry), the company will hire the degreed chemist.

There are many opportunities and challenges facing museums today. Developing a
resume to demonstrate museum related assets (the resume reflecting museum
work or experience vis a vis internships, volunteer etc.) will by and far be
your surest route to candidacy for a museum position short of a Muse Stud
degree or 12 years experience.  If you think you need to specialize to work in
a museum your probably making an incorrect assumption. Medium to small museums
have budgets that accomodate (competent) generalists, so learn a lot, keep
learning more, specialize in your interests, but learn eveything you can about
everything (even chemistry) and you'll find the job you want.  Sounds stupid
dosen't it?

I don't know who said it, but don't forget it...
               "those who say it can't be done need
                to get out of the way of those doing it!"

Good Luck and as I tell my students "NIKE" (just do it).

Terry Vidal
University of Northern Iowa Museum

P.S. (Power) Tess - I know of a small museum just outside of Newark, Delaware
that could use your talents and energy.  If you want a foot in the door and
some _real_ life experience give me a holler and I'll hook you up with the
Director there.